Name:
Location: Uryu, Hokkaido, Japan

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Daisetsuzan

Daisetsuzan is the largest national park in Hokkaido, and probably one of the largest, if not the largest, in Japan. I drove through the northern tip of it briefly on my way to Kitami last October. While Mom was here, I wanted to go see it again and maybe do a little hiking. Unfortunately, this is not so easy a thing to do. There is no official park entrance where you stop and pay, get a map of the area, that kind of thing. Apparently, you can find maps somewhere in nearby Asahikawa. The Lonely Planet book for Japan is utterly worthless. It could not tell me anything about where to go for hiking trails, or even how to get to some pretty drives. Most Japanese people, it seems, go there for the onsens, but Mom and I were not particularly interested in taking a bath, as we had already showered that morning thank you very much. So my trip to Daisetsuzan was looking rather bleak. I did not know where to go, it was rainy and very foggy. But then, what is that up ahead? Oh my goodness, it's a little wet fox running along the side of the road. KAWAII!!!!! What's this? A German restaurant with amazing food and a lady who speaks English? What luck!!! Driving back from the restaurant, who should we see again, but the little wet fox!! And he even stopped to let us take his picture. Well, I guess the day turned out to be wonderful afterall.





This is an absolutely spactacular view of the mountains, I know it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ricky Peterson said...

Nice pics. The Daisetsuzan mountains are a must watch when visiting Daisetsuzan National Park. Ishikari Tokachi mountains are the most beautiful. There are number of animals found here like Hokkaido deer, Hokkaido fox, Ezo sable etc. For more details refer Daisetsuzan park

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home